Wednesday 26 February 2014

What I'm Listening to: Jose Feliciano - Feliciano!

Listening to this album is like listening to an old friend. Guitar virtuoso Jose Feliciano is without doubt a legend of popular music having been around for 40 years or so.

It was his breakthrough album back in 1968 and comprises of a collection of covers that warms the soul. The single from the album was his version of The Door's 'Light My Fire' which had his version of the Mama's and The Papas 'California Dreamin'' on the flip side. However you shouldn't forget his versions of 'Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying' and 'In My Life' which to be fair, he makes his own.

Jose's voice has a haunting quality about it that makes me just want to listen carefully and embrace it fully. This is an album that combines ballads, soul, Latin and Folk, and yet it's one that even if you've not heard it before will be familiar, probably because of the songs.

He shows his quality as a guitarist throughout the album, particularly on the instrumental tracks such as 'And I Love Her. Even though I can't speak Spanish, 'Nena Na Na' is enchanting,

A quick research enabled me to find out that this album won two Grammy's including 'Best New Artist'. In 1969, it was nominated for a grammy as 'Best Album Of The Year', and producer Rick Jerrard received a nomination as 'Best Producer Of The Year'.

Like I said this album is an old friend. I've not played it in ages, and hearing it again has been a joy. Oh yes, and in 1968, the other Grammy was for 'Best Male Pop Song of The Year' with 'Light My Fire'

A great album, well worth your time!



Track Listing:
  1. California Dreamin'
  2. Light My Fire
  3. Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying 
  4. In My Life 
  5. And I Love Her
  6. Nena Na Na 
  7. (There's) Always Something There To Remind Me
  8. Just A Little Bit Of Rain 
  9. Sunny 
  10. Here, There And Everywhere 
  11. The Last Thing On My Mind 

No comments:

Post a Comment