Sunday 17 November 2013

What I'm Listening To - T Rex - Electric Warrior



I really didn't appreciate this album when it came out. But then again I was only 11 at the time. I have to say though hearing songs like 'Jeepster ', 'Hot Love' and 'Get It On' (by the way it's not 'Bang A Gong') takes me back to a time when I was starting to feel my feet musically.

I'd grown up listening to my Dad's reel to reel tapes with the hits of the late 50s and early 60s, and then my brother's forays into the world of Motown, Stax and Atlantic in the mid 60s, and by the time the 70s rolled around I was beginning to get an idea of what my music was.

Obviously I'd been influenced the the music I'd heard but all of a sudden I was hearing music that hadn't been theirs. One thing I discovered was that I loved all sorts of songs, but I was more of a singles kid. The only albums I bought were compilations of greatest hits.

Singles wise, I was loving Freda Payne, Chairmen Of The Board and Stevie Wonder. But Lee Marvin's Wandrin' Star was a favourite too. And then Glam started! I didn't know it as Glam then,

As my Dad said - 'Have you seen those soppy twats dressed like women?' And I went looking!

But I digress...

Back to the album.

The first time I heard it was in 1972 at a fairground in Crowthorne. I come from a fairground family and was visiting my sister. I was walking past David Traylen's Octopus, and it was playing on the ride.

It sounded great hearing it out of big speakers and I had to listen to it all because I wanted to hear the songs I knew.

I decided I had to buy it and when I went home I went down to the local record shop and forked out my money to get it.

And since then I've played it quite a bit. Not recently though. In fact not in ages.

I don't think it's as good as The Slider, but as I listen to it now, it brings back loads of memories from back then,

I never did get 'glammed up', but I can remember many that did.


Marc Bolan was more talented than I thought he was back then and this album sounds so good 40 odd years after it was recorded.




No comments:

Post a Comment