Sunday 19 December 2010

Saturday night, Sunday morning...

Well the weather certainly changed last night! It's a 10 mile trip form where I live to the city centre, and yesterday was the worst trip I'd had since I've been here.

I left to go to the Cambridge Soul Collective Christmas Party at around 5.15pm and it had just started snowing. As I headed toward town the snow got worse and worse and traffic was moving at around 15mph. I left plenty of room in front of me in case I needed to stop quickly and I skidded into the motor in front of me. It's just as well I did, because each time I used the brakes my van just slid forward. It was easier to slow down by going down through the gears and anticipating when I'd need to be stopped by.

That wasn't too bad though. I discovered then, that it was almost impossible to turn left or right from a standing start. When I was actually moving slowly it was possible to steer and follow the road round.
However. From a standing start, as I was trying to pull away and turn left or right, I had basically no control over the steering! I had a couple of scary moments, but it was OK in the end.

I got to the venue, and was able to get inside to set my computer up and get ready to play. I was going to be playing after Max Rees, in the same way I did last week. Max was going to use my computer once again, so it was possible for me to get his playlist as well as my own.

Anyway, the evening started and it was great to see so many people turn out on such a poor evening. There were people turning up from miles away. These 'Soulies' don't let a bit of snow stop them!

I have to say it was, once again, a great night. Lots of great music played, loads of dancing, and a great time was had by all. It's so good to see people having such a great time.

I was happy with my set and I had people up and dancing. That's all I want to see as a DJ. There is nothing that beats the buzz I feel when I see people having a good time to the music I've chosen. I'm sure all DJs feel the same. It was good to catch up with some people I'd not seen for a while and have a chat.

Here are mine and Max's playlists from last night:
Max Rees set
1 Tammi Terrell - All I Do Is Think About You
2 Darrell Banks - Open The Door To Your Heart
3 O'Jays - Lipstick Traces
4 Mary Wells - What's Easy For Two Is Hard For One
5 Little Richard - Little Bit of Something (Beats A Whole Lot Of Nothing)
6 Coasters - Crazy Baby
7 Nomads - Somethin's Bad
8 Herbert Hunter - I Was Born To Love You
9 Lynne Randell - Stranger In My Arms
10 Ann Sexton - You've Been Gone Too Long
11 Voices Of East Harlem - Cashing In
12 Don Thomas - Come On Train
13 World Column - So Is The Sun
14 Frankie 'Love Man' Crocker - Ton Of Dynamite
15 Nancy Wilson - End Of Our Love
16 Nolan Porter - If I Could Only Be Sure
17 Originals - Don't Stop Now
18 Temptations - Girl (Why You Wanna Make Me Blue)

James Murphy's Set
19 Billy Eckstine - I Wonder Why (Nobody Loves Me)
20 Mel Hayes & The Boogie Man Orchestra - Lady Lady Lady
21 Brenda Holloway - When I'm Gone
22 Eddie Holland - Candy To Me (1964) (2:21)
23 Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - In My Lonely Room
24 Tommy Neal - Going To A Happening
25 Platters - With This Ring
26 Bob Brady & The Concords - Everybody's Going To A Love-In
27 Epitome Of Sound - You Don't Love Me
28 Jay D Martin - By Yourself
29 Billy Arnell & The Sparkles - Tough Girl
30 Bobby Hebb - Love Love Love
31 Willie Tee - Walking Up A One Way Street
32 Seven Souls - I Still Love You
33 Timi Yuro - It'll Never Be Over For Me
34 Kurt Harris - Emperor Of My Baby's Heart
35 Trini Lopez - Sinner Not A Saint
36 Inex & Charlie Foxx - Mockingbird

I'm pleased to say, the roads were a bit better on the way home, but I still had to drive carefully as they were still a bit slippery.

This morning, it's been all about getting the Sunday Shake Up done and sorted.  It's now online at all the normal places you'd find it posted to listen again. Here's the link anyway
http://jamesmurphy.podomatic.c
om/entry/2010-12-19T00_00_49-08_00

So what's on for today? I'm pleased to say, absolutely nothing!
Speak soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment