Monday 27 December 2010

Teena Marie, Christmas & Me


Well, I got in last night, went on facebook, and the first message I saw was from Keni Burke, saying that Teena Marie had passed away. I have to say I was shocked. 54 years old is no age. I remember hearing her back in the late 70s and wondering who this new talent Motown had unearthed was.

She was slightly different to everyone else at the time and stood above all the newer artists of the time. 'I'm Just A Sucker For Your Love' was the first song I remember hearing and she went on to produce some awesome songs, including, 'Behind The Groove', 'Square Biz' and 'I Need Your Lovin'. However, I must the only person in the world who doesn't get 'Portugese Love'. It's not that I don't like it, I just could never really decide whether I got it or not.

Those that saw Teena Marie at the O2 last year, all reported that she was in fine form. My thoughts go out to her family and friends.

Since I blogged last, I've DJ'ed twice. First was Shaun Owen & my 'Unwarpped' night at Nusha on Christmas Eve. The turnout wasn't marvelous, but it was pleasing that people made the effort to come from as far as Bury St Edmunds and Haverhill. It's a shame Cambridge people didn't come, but understandable as Christmas is a family time, and Christmas Eve can be a busy time at home.

Myself and Shaun played across the board with Shaun playing newer tunes and me playing those older songs. As Shaun played CDs and records, I wasn't able to get his playlist, but here's what I played. We both did 3 short sets each so I've separated mine into those sets.


Set 1
1 Mystic Merlin - Just Can't Give You Up
2 Keni Burke - Let Somebody Love You
3 Khemistry - I Can't Lose With The Stuff I Use
4 Kleeer - Keep Your Body Workin'
5 Trussel - Love Injection
6 Manu Dibango - Big Blow
7 Teddy Pendergrass - Only You
8 Rick James - Big Time
9 Melba Moore - Love's Comin' At Ya
10 Bobby Thurston - Checkout The Groove
11 A Taste Of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie
12 Stylistics - Rockin' Roll Baby
13 Trammps - Hold Back The Night
14 Natalie Cole - This Will Be
15 Martha Reeves & the Vandellas - Jimmy Mack
16 Supremes - There's No Stopping Us Now
17 Stevie Wonder - Uptight (Everything's Alright)
18 Bob & Marcia - Young Gifted & Black
19 Pioneers - Let Your Yeah Be Yeah
20 Dave & Ansil Collins - Double Barrel
21 George Benson - Give Me The Night
22 Crusaders - Streetlife
23 Odyssey - Inside Out

Set 2
24 Shannon - Let The Music Play
25 Terence Trent D'arby - Dance Little Sister
26 Edwin Starr - Contact
27 Karen Young - Hot Shot
28 Jackson Sisters - I Believe In Miracles
29 Thelma Houston - Saturday Night Sunday Morning
30 Cool Million ft Eugene Wilde - Back For More
31 Soul II Soul ft Rose Windross - Fairplay
32 Sharon Redd - Can You Handle It
33 Cheryl Lynn - Got To Be Real
34 Billy Paul - Bring The Family Back

Set 3
35 Fat Larry's Band - Lookin' For Love Tonight
36 Herbie Hancock - I Thought It Was You
37 Billy Paul - Bring The Family Back
38 Terry Callier - Ordinary Joe
39 Eugene Record - Overdose Of Joy
40 Bobby Thurston - Very Last Drop

All in all, it was an enjoyable night, and great to meet a few of my facebook friends for the first time and meet up with other friends I've met since I've been in Cambridge.

Christmas Day was much like anyone else's, food, sweets, drink and excess. Although to be fair I never had a great deal to drink.

Boxing Day was all about playing at the Med. Once again turnout could have been better, however, those that were there had a great time, and it was quite funny watching them staggering home along the road as I was driving home at the end.

The set was a bit across the board, but it was a fun set to play - you will notice the 80s pop in there - I had a request to play 'some naff 80s jumpin' up and down and singing tunes' - and I have to admit to having a mad 5 minutes and playing 2 novelty songs from the 70s that I don't think I've ever played before at a disco!

That said though, there were a couple of sublime moments for me last night when the music was just perfect for the moment when I played them. The songs I'm talking about were Kim Weston's 'Another Train Coming' and the last song of the night which was just lovely.

Here's the playlist:
1 Jim Gilstrap - Swing Your Daddy
2 Kandidate - Girls Girls Girls
3 Lou Rawls - Sit Down & Talk To Me
4 James Ingram - One More Rhythm
5 Carl Anderson - Buttercup
6 Beverley Skeete - If The Feeling Is Right
7 Black Box - Fall Into My Love
8 Keni Burke - Hang Tight
9 Lisa Stansfield - I Will Be Waiting
10 Mary Mary - In The Morning
11 Omarion - Entourage
12 Linda K - Clubsong
13 Paul McInnes & TBOI - Sunshine
14 Spice Girls - Spice Up Your Life (Morales Mix)
15 Mary J Blige - Just Fine
16 Usher - Pop Ya Collar
17 St Germain - So Flute
18 Jazzelicious - Fantastico
19 Bashiyra - Mistified
20 Cool Notes - Make This A Special Night
21 Heavy D & The Boyz - Somebody For Me
22 Keith Sweat - I Want Her
23 Black Science Orchestra - Sunshine (Soul Weekender Mix)
24 Patrice Rushen - Forget Me Nots
25 Chi-Lites - Hot On A Thing
26 Barry White - I'm Qualified To Satisfy You
27 New York City - I'm Doing Fine Now
28 Chairman Of The Board - Everything's Tuesday
29 Willie Hutch - Lucky To Be Loved
30 Sam Fletcher - I'd Think It Over Twice
31 Trini Lopez - Sinner Not A Saint
32 Eddie Kendricks - Goin' Up In Smoke
33 Stevie Wonder - You Haven't Done Nothin'
34 Rose Royce - Is It Love You're After
35 Evelyn 'Champagne' King - Shame
36 Shalamar - Take That To The Bank
37 Drifters - Come On Over To My Place
38 Georgie Fame - Yeh Yeh
39 Jimmy Soul - If You Want To Be Happy
40 Jackie Wilson - I Get The Sweetest Feeling
41 Tams - Hey Girl Don't Bother Me
42 Al Green - Full Of Fire
43 Luther Vandross - You're The Sweetest One
44 Manhattans - Crazy
45 Lainer & Co - Dancing In The Night
46 George Benson - Turn Your Love Around
47 Temptations - My Baby
48 Chiffons - One Fine Day
49 Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Two Can Have A Party
50 Roy Orbison - Uptown
51 Sam Cooke - Having A Party
52 Millie - My Boy Lollipop
53 Desmond Dekkar - It Miek
54 Jimmy Cliff - Hurricane Hatty
55 Delroy Wilson - I'm In A Dancing Mood
56 Barbara Lewis - Pushin' A Good Thing Too Far
57 Kim Weston - Another Train Coming
58 Aretha Franklin - One Step Ahead (Featurecast Re-Edit)
59 Donna Summer - Down Deep Inside
60 Haircut 100 - Love Plus One
61 Thompson Twins - Love On Your Side
62 Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Round
63 Human League - Fascination (Keep Feeling)
64 Blondie - Sunday Girl
65 Meri Wilson - Telephone Man
66 Guy Marks - Loving You Has Made Me Bananas
67 Spandau Ballet - Gold
68 Sister Sledge - Reach Your Peak
69 Chic - Sometimes You Win
70 Billy Ocean - Nights (Feel Like Getting Down)
71 Gladys Knight & The Pips - Baby Baby Don't Waste My Time
72 Drifters - You're More Than A Number In My Little Red Book
73 Leroy Hutson - They Got Love
So that just about brings me up to date. I'll speak again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment