Tuesday 24 May 2011

Pick 'n' Mix - what a concept!

Can you remember going into Woolworths when you were younger and going to the Pick 'n' Mix counter? I used to love doing that. Can you remember how you always spent more than you'd planned there as well? Yeah...I did that too! It was just great picking up that bag and then shovelling in sweets of different types.

Well yesterday, I was going through my music database, and as I was doing it, I kept thinking to myself that I hadn't played some of those songs in ages. The thing is, because of the radio shows and the discos, I seem to be always playing songs that I'll be playing at one or the other.

I reckon I play around 10% of the music I've got, and I really felt like delving in and playing across the genres. I didn't really have much to do last night, so I thought I'd have a play. Then I had the brainwave - why not do a live show so others could listen while I did it?

And that's how last night's 'Pick 'n' Mix' show came into being. With no real idea what I was going to play, I just started and went from there.

Here's the result.


Here's the playlist:
1 Buddy Holly - Think It Over
2 Alan Price Set - Simon Smith & His Amazing Dancing Bear
3 Dan I - Monkey Chop
4 Edwin Starr - SOS  (Stop Her On Sight)
5 Beatles - Devil In Her Heart
6 Al Hirt - Java
7 Kinks - Dedicated Follower Of Fashion
8 James Taylor - Shower The People
9 Carly Simon - Older Sister
10 Duane Eddy - Some Kinda Earthquake
11 John D Loudermilk - Language Of Love
12 Jimmy Cliff - Miss Jamaica
13 Pioneers - Give & Take
14 Wizzard - Are You Ready To Rock
15 Sailor - Glass Of Champagne
16 TV Theme - Bonanza
17 Quantum Jump - Lone Ranger
18 M - Pop Musik
19 Andrews Sisters - Rum & Coca Cola
20 Perry Como - Love Makes The World Go Round
21 Floyd Cramer - On The Rebound
22 Frankie Laine - Champion The Wonder Horse
23 Rubettes - Juke Box Jive
24 Mixtures - Push Bike Song
25 Lord Rockinghams XI - Hoots Mon
26 Anita O'Day - Peanut Vendor (El Manisero)
27 Don Lang & His Frantic Five - Six Five Special
28 Ricky Nelson - My Bucket's Got A Hole In It
29 Keith Emerson - Honky Tonky Train Blues
30 Amazulu - Excitable
30 Tom Tom Club - Wordy Rappinghood
31 TV Theme - Antiques Roadshow (Remix)
32 50 Cent ft Thomas The Tank Engine - In Da Club (Remix)
33 Jilted John - Jilted John
34 Jo Boxers - Just Got Lucky
35 Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass - Spanish Flea
36 Don Spencer - Fireball XL5
37 Joe Brown - Jellied Eels
38 Teresa Brewer - How Do You Know It's Love
39 Michael Holliday - Stairway Of Love
40 Tommy Bruce - Ain't Misbehavin'
41 Johnny Preston - Cradle Of Love
42 Connie Francis - Robot Man
43 Gene Pitney - Town Without Pity
44 Lee Marvin - Wanderin' Star
45 South Pacific Soundtrack - There Is Nothing Like A Dame
46 Jimmy Durante - Make Someone Happy
47 Neil Sedaka - Queen Of 1964
48 Piglets - Johnny Reggae
49 Fortunes - Storm In A Teacup
50 Meri Wilson - Telephone Man
51 Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime
52 Hank Williams Snr - Hey Good Lookin'
53 John & Olivia vs Arthur & Hylda - You're The One That I Want
54 Kirsty MacColl - In These Shoes
55 Eddie Calvert - Angelina
56 Sam The Sham & The Pharoahs - Wooly Bully
57 Shangri-Las - Leader Of The Pack
58 Four Seasons - Marlena
59 Ketty Lester - Love Letters
60 T Rex - Ride A White Swan
61 Slade - Let's Call It Quits
62 Elvis Presley - Kentucky Rain
63 Darts - Daddy Cool
64 Lloyd Price - Have You Ever Had The Blues
65 Wayne Newton - Danke Schoen
66 Peter Cook & Dudley Moore - Goodbye-ee

To hear my recent shows, go to http://www.jamesmurphy.podomatic.com

Feel free to let me know what you think and whether you'd like me to do another one.......


No comments:

Post a Comment