Wednesday 1 June 2011

Silver Surfers, 'Diggin' the Dancing Queen, Days Out & a Wedding

Sounds like the title of a Richard Curtis film doesn't it?

Well it's been a bit hectic this last week or so, and I've not had time to update, so here goes!

As many of you may know, I'm doing a part time ITQ course at College and it's progressing nicely thanks, but when I was there one day last week, I saw a sign for Silver Surfer day. Basically it's when pensioners can come in and have a day learning how to use the net if they hadn't used it before.

Now I know I sometimes think on a parallel dimension to everyone else, bit this is what I saw when I read the sign.

I have been informed since (because I asked), that nobody turned up with a surfboard, so as usual my thinking was a bit out.

Debz the Promogirl managed to get me in hysterics again this week. She told me that she was watching 'Glee' with her daughter, when the cast were singing Abba's 'Dancing Queen', and it was during the song that for the first time she realised what 'Diggin' the Dancing Queen' meant. Apparently, she had always thought that 'Diggin' was a naff Swedish name, and that 'Diggin' was the Dancing Queen's name! It's no wonder we get on so well eh?


I did a wedding last Saturday - Lovely venue, lots of nice people, and a great time was had by all. However, why is it you always get one who misses the tone of the wedding and makes requests that are so wrong for the night and the vibe that's going on. Yes, I got one. From having requests that were, ranging from Motown to Dance tunes, a bit of Disco and that sort of stuff, I had one guy that requested the likes of Erasure 'Blue Savannah', New Kids On The Block 'Hangin' Tough' and The Smiths 'This Charming Man'. Totally not what the Bride & Groom wanted. And when I said I couldn't play them, he went chasing the Bride and Groom and dragged them over to get me to play them. Whilst they both said no, he kept on to them throughout the evening and in the end they relented and said yes to shut him up!

Talk about killing a dance floor - cleared the floor and went from plenty to about 3 or 4. Then I had to start all over again and get people back on there. It's OK, I did it, but it just spoils the flow and means you've got to start all over again.

On Sunday we took a trip into God's own county, that of course being Essex, and went to a barbecue. It was great to meet up with some old friends and it was really good to have a day off - it was the first one I can remember having in ages. I even ended up doing a small guest spot on a Radio station.

Bank Holiday Monday also meant that it was time to get this week's Pure Grooves webmag published, as well as record the 'Flashback show'.

Tuesday is the day I record the 'Pure Grooves' show, and so that brings us about up to date!


There's no getting away from it, my life seems to revolve around music. Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment