Saturday 17 September 2011

Random Records Novelty or not?


So, did you hear the show? If not, let me tell you about it.

Last Tuesday, I'd finished recording my Pure Grooves show and was at a bit of a loss for something to do. I'm not a great TV watcher - in fact, I've not even got a freeview box plugged into it, so I only watch DVDs.

As I didn't fancy watching a DVD, I thought I'd just have a play of some records. What generally happens when I do this is that I start off with one song and just go on from there picking and playing whatever I see that takes my fancy.

Anyway, for some reason I decided to do this on air, so I quickly went on mixlr and did a facebook invitation to let people know I was just going to go on air and to let them know what I was going to do.

10 minutes later, I was on-air, with a few people listening. Over the next three hours, I had more listeners join in and it became an enjoyable night, not only for me, but for those listening.

People listening joined me on my facebook page and we were chatting whilst I was doing the show. Then people started making requests. I decided that I would take a request, but only if they requested songs that brought back specific memories to them. For me that was the fun part.

In picking the songs, there were no rules other than I just fancied hearing the song. This meant that I was skipping from genre to genre, era to era and with an anything goes spirit.

I think it resulted in a pretty interesting playlist. And what's more, I'm pleased to say that many of the listeners did as well, it was nice to receive emails and messages from people saying how they enjoyed the concept of it.

This has led me to think more about this show. On checking my downloads for the week, this show has beat all of my other shows for listens. It makes me wonder whether this is the type of show that could just be different enough to make it something people would like to hear on a regular basis.

Too many shows these days (mine included) are too 'samey'. People know what they're gonna get before they tune in. To be fair that's great as people listen to what they like to hear.

However, I believe the Random Records show was a success for exactly the opposite reason. People didn't have a clue what I was going to play - come to think of it, neither did I.

It was a refreshing change to not spend time thinking about putting a show together, and I think this gave the show a freshness that Is missing from my other shows. A big plus of course is that it was done 'live' and I could have audience participation which is something I love.

Therefore, I'm going to be doing it again next week to see if it will hold up or whether it was a 'flash in the pan'. If it holds up, there's a good chance that I'd make it a regular show.

In order to do that though, something would have to give. I would have to drop one of my regular shows to make way for it. I would imagine the show that would have to go would be 'Flashback'.

Firstly, as the name of the new show implies, the songs I'm playing come from the era of records, so it's an oldies show of sorts. As Flashback is an oldies show, it makes sense that would be the one to go.

The other reason is that 'Flashback' is only an hour. If I made the new show a 2 hour show, it would be more enticing for stations to take.

But that's all in the future, we'll have to see what happens next time. I can't help but think that this show is going to be a success. Mainly because of the mix of music I'll be playing. It'll appeal to those who don't want to hear just one type of music. And it'll be great for those who like a bit of nostalgia, but don't mind hearing the odd album track, or one that slipped by the charts.

We'll have to see. In the meantime, if you haven't heard the show:

Here's the link to the show:
 http://jamesmurphy.podomatic.com/entry/2011-09-14T00_02_41-07_00

Here's the playlist:
1 Rupert Holmes - Escape (Pina Colada)
2 Michel Legrand - Come Ray & Come Charles
3 Kim Weston - Just Loving You
4 Annie Lennox - Walking On Broken Glass
5 Andrew Gold - Never Let Her Slip Away
6 Beatles - Kansas City
7 James Taylor - Little More Time With You
8 George Benson - What's On Your Mind
9 Drifters (The) - On Broadway
10 Lou Reed - Walk On The Wild Side
11 Art Blakey - Moanin'
12 Jigsaw - Sky High
13 Joe Brown - Jellied Eels
14 Robert John - Sad Eyes
15 Baccara - Yes Sir I Can Boogie
16 Mamas & The Papas - Creeque Alley
17 Sheb Wooley - Purple People Eater
11 Bobby 'Boris' Pickett & The Crypt Kicker 5 - Monster Mash
12 10cc - Rubber Bullets
13 Heatwave - Posin' Til' Closin'
14 TV Theme - I Dream Of Jeannie
15 Patsy Cline - Just Out Of Reach
16 Brenda Lee - Wee Wee Willie
17 Jennifer Paige - Crush
18 Ella Fitzgerald - Desafinado
19 Pointer Sisters (The) - Yes We Can Can
20 Lisa Stansfield - All Around The World
21 Georgie Fame - Yeh Yeh
22 Donnie Elbert - Without You
23 Toni Basil - Mickey
24 Elton John - Writing
25 Sam Cooke - That's It - I Quit - I'm Movin' On
26 Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass - Spanish Flea
27 Diana Ross - Last Time I Saw Him
28 Mar-Keys (The) - Last Night
29 M - Pop Musik
30 LaVerne Baker - Jim Dandy
31 Carole Bayer Sager - You're Moving Out Today
32 Louis Prima - My Cucuzza
33 Cab Calloway - Minnie The Moocher
34 Dean Martin - That's Amore
35 Ray Charles & Blues Brothers - Shake Your Tailfeather
36 George Formby - When I'm Cleaning Windows
37 Bobby Helms - Jacqueline
38 Animals - House Of The Rising Sun
39 Elvis Presley - GI Blues
40 Chicory Tip - Son Of My Father
41 Jimmy Young - Man From Laramie
42 Stevie Wonder - Yester-me Yester-you Yesterday
43 Patsy Cline - Crazy
44 Zu Zu Blues Band (The) - Zu Zu Man
45 Carole King - It Might As Well Rain Until September
46 Gilbert O'Sullivan - No Matter How I Try
47 Cockney Rebel - Here Comes The Sun
48 Al Green - Let's Stay Together
49 Paul Davidson - Midnight Rider
50 Don McLean - American Pie
51 Steely Dan - Rikki Don't Lose That Number
52 Dickie Valentine - King Of Dixieland

Let me know what you think of the show.

By the way, if you want to know when the next one is going out, 'like' my facebook page, because that's where I'll be posting the time and day the shows happening again.




No comments:

Post a Comment