Friday 2 September 2011

Internet stations


So I was thinking about radio stations the other day and wondering if they adequately serve their listenership. And I suppose they do. I think the problem is that I don't fit the demographic.

I've always erred from starting up my own radio station as I've never really wanted the hassle of it, but I have to admit I'm started to get tempted by the idea.

But he truth is I've always been promoting me as a brand - that way, people who like my shows know what to expect. By starting a station it would mean that I then have to look at taking other shows. Being me, I wouldn't want to just be one genre of station as I like to be across the board.

And I've not achieved what I want to yet, and I think I still have so much to learn as a presenter. The other thing is with me that I'm incredibly picky. As with everything I try to do, I want it to be the best that it can be. And running a station would entail me taking in other people's shows. Which would entail me hunting to find the shows I want to put on the station - the trouble is, it'd end up as Saga Radio - music for the over 50s!

My listener demographic is aged between 35 - 55. 35% Female and 65% Male - I do have listeners in the younger age groups - but they amount to only 7% of my total listenership.

I would imagine that for the most part, my listeners enjoy the soul related music the most, however there is so much more that I would like to both play and hear personally.

I make no apologies for promoting myself - after all, if I don't, who will? The problem I could see is that I'd end up on air all the time trying out different shows, and I'm not sure that would help - after all no-one wants to hear me all the time.

The one thing an online radio station that targets a certain demographic would do, is to target it in such a way that I could try to earn an income from it.

Everyone keeps telling me there's no money in radio, but over the last few months, I've been doing extensive research, and I'm not so sure they're right.

There are several niche markets that could be profitable - after all I'm not talking about earning silly amounts of money - I just want to earn a sensible wage from it.

But the other thing that always drives me is that I read somewhere a long time ago a quote that went along the lines of - Observe the masses and do the opposite - and another that said if everyone's agreeing with you then don't do it!

And the other thing is that I really want to be successful in radio - and if there isn't a market available to me at the moment, then I need to create one.

I'm nothing, if not a persistent person, and I feel that there's a place for me in radio - and please don't think I'm a big headed, know all. I'm not. I'm just someone who has a desire to achieve something.

And besides.... I'd rather die trying that give up and regret the decision for the rest of my life.

I'm by no means the finished item where presenting is concerned, but the fact that I have listeners in 58 countries and territories, tells me that I can't be that bad either.

The over-riding thought at the moment though, is that I may just have to create my own path to earning a living from radio - it may be a station, it may be a listening club, I don't know what quite yet.

But you can be sure, one way or another, I will find a way to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment