Tuesday 21 December 2010

Relaxation - is it over-rated?

Well as we come toward Christmas, many of us look toward taking a break. I understand that we all need time to wind down, but I don't think I'm genetically engineered to do that.

Last night was a case in point. After finishing this week's Pure Grooves magazine and getting it online, I decided that I was going to have a night laying up the settee watching a film. Did that happen? Nope.

Here's how it panned out. I went to Tescos and did a bit of shopping, like you do. Came home and put the kettle on, full of good intentions. While I was waiting for the kettle to boil, I started to think about this week's Flashback show and what was going to be in it. So I walked to my computer table flipped on the computer and went back to finish making a cuppa.

Once that was done, I came back and decided to sort the play list out. I figured if I did that then I'd be in front for doing the show. An hour later the play list was sorted. Then I got it into my head to do the show as the computer was all lined up and ready to go, and so was I.

I started recording the show, and while I was doing the show I was hunting the net for details on each song for the 'Going Back In Time' part of the magazine.

An hour later the show was done and so was what I needed for the magazine. However, we're taking a break from the magazine until January, so there was no rush to do it. But, the first magazine of the New Year is going to need to accommodate 6 shows instead of 3, so I'll need to re-jig that and add extra pages.

If I did that last night, that's another job done, that would save time once I've had a break and am back to start again.

An hour later, I had re-jigged the magazine so that the next issue will incorporate the extra shows, and while I was at it, I added the information about the songs in the show. "While I'm at it", I thought, "I'll put the play list in and sort the 'Birthday Files' and that will be finished". That took another hour.

Next, I thought to myself perhaps it would be a good idea to have something to eat. 40 minutes later that was sorted.

Washing up done, it was now time for me to pour myself a drink and put my feet up and watch that film. The time? 10.25pm

The annoying thing is that while I was watching the film, I found myself drifting from the film and thinking about what I need to do today. I'm not sure if I was thinking about what I need to do as much as what I wanted to do. You see, I love what I'm doing. Is what I do my relaxation? Or am I just driven and don't know how to relax?

You tell me.

By the way while I'm writing this I've been playing tunes that I may well play at the Nusha Bar on Christmas Eve. Oh yeah, I've got a Requestfest to do before that. And then I'm working on Boxing Day and again on New Year's Eve. I can't wait!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment