Sunday 23 January 2011

Great night DJing then it went a bit pear-shaped....

Last night, I was one of three DJs playing at George Knox's 50th birthday party, and what a cracking night it was. Lots of people who knew how to party, and I had the chance to dig out some great tunes that I don't often get chance to play when I'm out.

Shaun Owen started the evening off with a mix of great tunes to get people in the mood, then Max Rees came on the decks and played a solidly classics set to get the floor moving and after an hour of top tunes and with people up and dancing he passed it over to myself for the rest of the evening.

I've been in Cambridge almost a year now, and last night was my best night since I've been here. It gave a lot of people the opportunity to see me play for the first time and hopefully they liked it. The floor had people on it, throwing some wicked moves, so i think it went well. For me personally, I felt 'in the zone' and was lovin' what I played.

So what did get played? Unfortunately, Shaun was using CDs so I don't have a list of what he played, but Max and myself used my system, so I am able to put our play lists on.

Max Rees' set:
1 Heatwave - Groove Line
2 George Benson - Give Me The Night
3 Brothers Johnson - Stomp
4 Marvin Gaye - Got To Give It Up
5 Jackson 5 - I Want You Back
6 Jr Walker & The All Stars - How Sweet It Is
7 Barry White - You're The First The Last My Everything
8 Detroit Spinners - It's A Shame
9 Gwen McCrae - Keep The Fire Burning
10 Curtis Hairston - I Want You
11 Cool Million ft Eugene Wilde - Back For More
12 Joyce Sims - Come Into My Life
13 Grace Jones - Pull Up To The Bumper
14 A Taste Of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie
15 GQ - Make My Dreams A Reality
16 Keni Burke - Let Somebody Love You

James Murphy's Set
17 Tomorrow's Edition - U Turn Me On
18 Mystic Merlin - Mr Magician
19 Seawind - What Cha Doin'
20 Sun - Sun Is Here
21 Banbarra - Shack Up
22 War - Me & Baby Brother
23 Jackson Sisters - I Believe In Miracles
24 Coffee - Casanova
25 Phyllis Hyman - You Know How To Love Me
26 Tobi Legend - Time Will Pass You By
27 Epitome Of Sound - You Don't Love Me
28 Fatback Band - I Found Lovin'
29 Maze ft Frankie Beverly - Joy & Pain
30 Chi-Lites - Hot On A Thing
31 Khemistry - I Can't Lose With The Stuff I Use
32 Rick James - Big Time
33 Teena Marie - Behind The Groove
34 Terence Trent D'arby - Dance Little Sister
35 Teddy Pendergrass - Only You
36 Roy Ayers - Get On Up Get On Down
37 Manu Dibango - Big Blow
38 Jazzy Dee - Get On Up
39 Jenny Burton - Bad Habits
40 New Jersey Connection - Love Dont Come Easy
41 Kleeer - Keep Your Body Workin'
42 Trussel - Love Injection
43 Karen Young - Hot Shot
44 Blackbyrds - Rock Creek Park
45 Paulinho Da Costa - Deja Vu
46 Bo Kirkland & Ruth Davis - You're Gonna Get Next To Me
47 McFadden & Whitehead - Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now
48 Herbie Hancock - You Bet Your Love
49 Gary's Gang - Keep On Dancin'
50 Finis Henderson - Skip To My Lou
51 Glenn Jones - I Am Somebody
52 Drizabone - Pressure
53 Luther Vandross - Till My Baby Comes Home
54 Teddy Pendergrass - More I Get The More I Want
55 Carrie Lucas - Dance With You
56 Cameo - Find My Way
57 Originals - Down To Love Town
58 Sweet Thunder - Everybody's Singin' Love Songs
59 Jean Carn - If You Wanna Go Back
60 Al Matthews - Fool
61 Garfield Fleming - Don't Send Me Away
62 Sherrick - Just Call
63 Leroy Hutson - They Got Love
64 Luther Vandross - Never Too Much

All in all it was a great evening.

So where did it all go Pete Tong? Well after packing the disco into the van, it went from great to grrrr.........
I started the van up and the exhaust went...... it was like driving a train, so noisy.

So just when you think it was as bad as it could be, I was driving home at 2.30 in the morning, fed up that I had worked, and my exhaust was going to probably going to cost me as much as I'd earned, when I saw two white flashes from a speed camera as I passed it. It's not as though I didn't know the camera was there. I drive past it every week. I was doing around 35 in a 30 mph zone, so yes, it was my fault, but my mind wandered due to my exhaust problem. Easily done.

So from having a great night, I've ended up out of pocket. Sometimes I wonder why I bother. Trouble is, I love it! The buzz I get when I'm playing to a great group of people is a drug I adore. So, next chance I get, I'll be out there doing it all over again.

Then this morning, I was back up at the crack of 8, sorting out my Sunday Shake Up show and getting it online, ready for the stations to play, and for the podcast to be available to download or listen again.



To download or hear the show - Click Here

Here's the playlist:
1 Bobby Womack - Things We Do (When We're Lonely)
2 Ronnie McNeir - Everybody's In A Hurry
3 Kool & The Gang - Too Hot
4 Staples Singers - Stone Soul Picnic
5 Winstons - Color Him Father
6 Jackie Ross - Selfish One
7 Terri Wells - You Make It Heaven
8 Marvin Gaye - My Love Is Waiting
9 Stephanie Mills - What Cha Gonna Do With My Lovin'
10 Otis Redding - My Girl
11 Judy Clay & William Bell - Private Number
12 Aretha Franklin - I Say A Little Prayer For You
13 DJ Rogers - On The Road Again
14 Brothers By Choice - Oh Darlin'
15 Al Green - L-O-V-E (Love)
16 Whitney Houston - You Give Good Love
17 George Benson - Kisses In The Moonlight
18 Glenn Jones - Show Me
19 Stevie Wonder - Masterblaster (Jammin')
20 Booker Newberry III - Love Town
21 Confunkshun - Ms Got The Body
22 Earth Wind & Fire - Evolution Orange
23 Tomorrow's Edition - U Turn Me On
24 Gentlemen Players - Suzi's Booty
25 Verna Francis - Why (Twisted Edit)
26 Eric Benet & Linda Kiraly - Iminluvwichoo
27 Loleatta Holloway - Runaway
28 Brooklyn Dreams - Music Harmony & Rhythm
29 Tata Vega - Get It Up For Love

To hear my recent shows, go to http://www.jamesmurphy.podomatic.com/

I'm also listening to the awesome Bobb Semple on Solar Radio as I'm writing this. Truly, medicine for my mind on a Sunday morning...

1 comment:

  1. I had the exhaust drop off my van on the way home from a gig once as well. It wasnt too bad driving at steady speed but as soon as you put your foot down the noise was incredible.

    That was when I discovered that the houses along the main roads were all on corners or uphill. I doubt they appreciated the noise at 2am LOL

    ReplyDelete