Friday 7 January 2011

Last night's Requestfest

Once again it was 'Requestfest' last night, and as usual a load of different songs requested. There's a trend that one or two get asked for each time by the same person, but they;re mostly different.

As well as that, you can be sure you're going to get one or two silly requests. Last night was no exception. That's the problem when you say 'fi we got it, we'll play it'. Last night we had that gem from the 80's,' The Birdie Song' and also 'Barbie Girl'. While 'Barbie Girl' was playing, someone came up to me and asked, 'Why does this get requested so often?' I replied that I wasn't surprised as it had been a number one and sold loads. He answered, 'Yes but only to kids'. I then pointed out that the kids that were 7-8 when Barbie Girl came out were now 20 & 21 year old adults. I also believe that if it was a favourite when you were a kid, it's always going to have fond memories for you. That's why I think 'Barbie Girl' gets requested so often.

There were a few more in for the requestfest last night, and so I had a whole load more requests. I have to say it's been a while since I had a request for Eartha Kitt & Shirley Bassey. But to me that's what makes these nights enjoyable. I get to dig out some songs that haven't seen the light of day for a while.

So what did I play last night? Here's the play list

1 Association - Spooky
2 Bobby Fuller Four - I Fought The Law
3 Clash - London Calling
4 Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing
5 Eartha Kitt - C'est Magnifique
6 Mick Hucknall - Farther On Up The Road
7 JLS - Club Is Alive
8 Olly Murs - Thinking Of Me
9 Haddaway - What Is Love
10 Eminem - Business
11 Tweets - Birdie Song
12 Melanie C - I Turn To You
13 Black Eyed Peas - Time (Dirty Bit)
14 Abba - Chiquitita
15 Bonnie Tyler - Holding Out For A Hero
16 Shirley Bassey - Big Spender
17 Madness - Our House
18 Blur - Parklife
19 Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now
20 Nat 'King' Cole - Let There Be Love
21 Hall & Oates - Maneater
22 Blue & Elton John - Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
23 Berlin - Take My Breath Away
24 Roy Orbison - You Got It
25 Barry White - You're The First The Last My Everything
26 N-Dubz - Best Behaviour
27 Robbie Williams - Road To Mandalay
28 Aerosmith - I Don't Want To Miss A Thing
29 Rod Stewart - Tonight's The Night
30 James Blunt - High
31 Alexandra Burke ft Laza Morgan - Start Without You
32 Fleetwood Mac - Everywhere
33 Rihanna ft Drake - What's My Name
34 Village People - YMCA
35 Bruno Mars - Just the Way You Are
36 Santana & Rob Thomas - Smooth
37 Nelly - Just A Dream
38 Scritti Politti - The Word Girl
39 Eminem ft Rihanna - Love The Way You Lie
40 DJ Ironik - Stay With Me
41 Sixpence None The Richer - Kiss Me
42 Cheryl Cole - Promise This
43 Shania Twain - That Don't Impress Me Much
44 Jessie J - Do It Like A Dude
45 Duck Sauce - Barbra Streisand
46 Snoop Dogg ft Justin Timberlake - Signs
47 Aqua - Barbie Girl
48 Chris Brown - Forever
49 Black Eyed Peas - Meet Me Halfway
50 Rob Thomas - Lonely No More
51 Gyptian - Hold You
52 Sting - Englishman In New York
53 Style Council - Walls Come Tumbling Down
54 Freda Payne - Band Of Gold
55 Rihanna - Rude Boy
56 Charles Sheffield - Its Your Voodoo Working
57 Bee Gees - Spirits (Having Flown)
58 Chris Rea - Fool (If You Think It's Over)
59 Brenda & The Tabulations - One Girl Too Late
60 Black Eyed Peas - Pump It
61 Lionel Richie - Say You Say Me
This evening it's my monthly 'Motown & More' night which I always look forward to. I'll let you know how that went down tomorrow.

I've had a few ideas for new features for the 'Pure Grooves' magazine that I'm going to work on, and a few that I could add to the blog which may make it a bit more interesting, so watch this space.......

No comments:

Post a Comment