Monday 23 May 2011

Going through my record database

I've spent the whole weekend reading a book on being involved in radio and have come tot he conclusion I have so much to learn, and it's whetted my appetite even more!

In the last blog, I talked about the fact that I was going to do a Requestfest on the radio, which I did. I was hoping I'd get a wider range of requests, but understandably, I got mostly soul-based requests. After all, it's what I'm know for playing, and my listeners like soul, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Mind you, I love so many other types of music as well. And it would be nice to play some of those as well. I've over 35,000 songs on my computer (nearer 40,000) and I don't think I play 10% of those on the radio.
As I'm writing this, I'm just skimming through some of the instrumentals, and I've played Herb Alpert, Earl Bostic and Floyd Cramer - all great in their own way.

I'm so tempted to do a live radio show and just play songs that strike my fancy from any of the genres on my database - be it Pop, Soul, Latin, Instrumentals, Rock, Novelty, MOR - I can't see me getting too many listeners, but it sure would be a varied show!

Looking back at the Requestfest show I did the other night, it was nice to get a lot of requests, and was good it be playing live - it certainly keeps you on your toes.


Here's the playlist:
1 Fats Domino - Be My Guest
2 Average White Band - I Just Can't Give You Up
3 Mamie Galore - It Ain't Necessary
4 James Brown - Sex Machine
5 Al Wilson - The Snake
6 Bobby Paris - Night Owl
7 Stevie Wonder - Another Star
8 Bobby Paris - I Walked Away
9 Donald Byrd - Dominoes
10 Jean Carn - If You Wanna Go Back
11 Darryl Grant - Don't Underestimate The Power Of Love
12 Fat Larry's Band - Center City
13 David Ruffin - Rode By The Place (Where We Used To Stay)
14 Sunlightsquare Latin Combo - I Believe In Miracles
15 Originals - Suspicion
16 Little Willie John - Don't Play With Love
17 Cool Million ft Eugene Wilde - Back For More
18 Temptations - Treat Her Like A Lady
19 Moments - Nine Times
20 Rolf Harris - Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport
21 Michael Wycoff - Looking Up To You
22 Reunion - Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me)
23 Supremes - The Happening
24 Terry Ronald - What The Child Needs
25 Commodores - Fancy Dancer
26 Elvis Presley - GI Blues
27 Elvis Presley - A Mess Of Blues
28 Collins & Collins - At The Top Of The Stairs
29 Bobby Patterson - What A Wonderful Night For Love
30 Otis Redding - Rock Me Baby
31 Jaheim - Just In Case
32 Omarion - Entourage
33 Erma Franklin - Abracadabra
34 Fab Samperi ft Jonathan Molina - Listen Up
35 Aretha Franklin - One Step Ahead (Featurecast Re-Edit)
36 Al Hudson & Partners - Spread Love
37 Big Joe Turner - Flip Flop & Fly
38 Joey Negro & Sunburst Band - Everyday
39 Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Love Is Like A Heatwave
40 Willie Hutch - Lucky To Be Loved
41 Luther Vandross - Never Too Much
42 Isley Brothers - Harvest For The World
43 Ujima - I'm Not Ready
44 Michel Legrand - Come Ray & Come Charles
To Hear my recent shows, go to http://www.jamesmurphy.podomatic.com

I can see me having a day where I play songs that don't normally see the light of day - although I do have to record my 'Flashback' show today.

It was really nice to get a request from one of my listeners in New Zealand today. First one I've had from the 'Rag-FM' (Ragland NZ) syndicated show - it's nice to know I'm having an effect so far away (and not having them just switch off!).

Back to the music..... See you soon!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment