Monday 14 March 2011

Upsides & Setbacks

It's been ups and downs since I spoke on Thursday. Hectic and also really frustrating. They;re the only words I can think of that will explain it.

On Thursday I was given the opportunity to stage an event here in Cambridge. It was a good offer and a great opportunity to get my name on the map. what's more it was on the only weekend in May that nothing was going on! I've said before about the thriving soul scene here, so  the chance to do something was great.

So I had the date and the venue May 21st at Cambridge Snooker Centre (home of the successful Soul Express events). I wanted to get it off to a great start and give it time to sell tickets, so on Friday I spoke to DJs and confirmed them for the event, and then set about designing flyers and getting them printed up and also putting the event on facebook.

By Saturday I thought it was a bit odd that I'd unusually not even got a like or even a mention from the usual supporters in Cambridge. And my worries were confirmed when I took flyers to one of the shops I usually put posters up. They told me about a big event going on on the same day within a mile of the venue. It's a private party, but with what looks like a huge attendance. It turns out the date for this event had been changed a while back from the 28th to the 21st, but that the news hadn't filtered back to the people who had asked me to do the event.

So I now had to try and re-arrange the date. I thought about doing the 38th of May, but I couldn't do that as I'm doing a wedding that day. The 14th is out because there is already an event planned that day. I looked at the 7th, but that was out because there's a wedding function already booked there that day. A final date of the 4th June was offered, and I've had to leave that as the two DJs who I wanted to play at the event are both booked to play another event on the same date.

I was totally frustrating, so today I decided to cancel the event as it seemed impractical to take it forward. So it's been another lesson to put down to experience. So after running around like a loony trying to put things in place, I'm back at square one. And deflated for a while, but I'll be back to normal in a day or two.

Now along side this I still had the usual things to do such as get a show sorted, then recorded. And also get the magazine completed and ready for publication this morning. All of which I did.

So lets take a look at this week's Sunday Shake Up


Here's the playlist
1 Stevie Wonder - Ribbon In The Sky
2 Heatwave - Mindblowing Decisions
3 Jean Carn - No Laughing Matter
4 Major Harris - Love Won't Let Me Wait
5 Karin Jones - Last Night In My Dreams (1982) (5:11)
6 Kandidate - Can't Say Bye
7 Mica Paris - Sixth Street
8 Amel Larrieux & Glenn Lewis - What's Come Over Me
9 Tommy Simms - Peace & Love
10 Lonnie Hill - Galveston Bay
11 Basic Black & Pearl - There'll Come A Time
12 Unique Blend - Yes I'm in Love
13 Candi Staton - Nights On Broadway
14 Chanson - Don't Hold Back
15 Phil Fearon & Galaxy - Everybody's Laughing
16 Whispers - And The Beat Goes On
17 Gap Band - Burn Rubber On Me
18 War - Galaxy
19 Cerrone - Supernature
20 Foxy - Get Off
21 Kid Creole & The Coconuts - I'm A Wonderful Thing Baby
22 Junior - Mama Used To Say
23 Kool & The Gang - Get Down On It
24 Hall & Oates - I Can't Go For That
25 Odyssey - Going Back To My Roots
26 Shakatak - Sunshine
To hear my recent shows, go to http://www.jamesmurphy.podomatic.com

Also over the weekend, my Pure Grooves show went out.



Here's the playlist:
1 Papik - Staying For Good (Guido Nemola Classic Remix)
2 Seductive Souls Ft Michael Arkk - Is This Love
3 Inaya Day & Ralf Gum - Lose My Worries (Main Mix)
4 David Bendeth - Feel The Real
5 Roy Ayers - Can't You See Me
6 George Duke - I Want You For Myself
7 Roxy 5000 ft Terri Walker & Friends - Never Going Back
8 Ivery Bell - 5 Letter
9 Incognito ft Mario Biondi & Chaka Khan - Lowdown
10 Dionne Warwick - Do You Believe In Love At First Sight
11 Stevie Wonder - Outside My Window
12 Osibisa - Dance The Body Music
13 Eric Benet - Georgy Porgy
14 Hinda Hicks - You Think You Own Me
15 Don E - Love Makes The World Go Round
16 Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway - Back Together Again
17 Ritchie Family - I'll Do My Best
18 Bobby Thurston - You Got What It Takes
19 Madagascar - Rainbow
20 Alton McLain & Destiny - It Must Be Love
21 Sweet Thunder - Everybody's Singin' Love Songs
22 Teddy Pendergrass - You Can't Hide From Yourself
23 Originals - Down To Love Town
24 Celi Bee & The Buzzy Bunch - One Love
To hear my Recent shows, go to http://www.jamesmurphy.podomatic.com

And then this morning we published this week's Pure Grooves magazine

This week's featured artists are the Three Degrees and as well as that there are all the usual features and links etc.

This afternoon, I've put together this week's 'Flashback' show and I recorded that just before I have updated this.

So that just about brings us up to date.

So like I said Upsides and Setbacks......and I'll just keep on keepin' on...

No comments:

Post a Comment