Friday 4 March 2011

When you REALLY earn your money

Yesterday was like most day, quite hectic. And it started off bright and early at around 6.15am. I'm so glad I can record my shows from home. By 6.45, I was up , washed, fed, and ready to record this week's Pure Grooves show. I'd sorted the play list the previous evening so it was just a matter of going and doing it.

And to be fair, the show flowed really well and I had a great time doing it. It's funny, no matter how many shows you do, they all feel different when I'm doing them, and yesterday, from the very start it felt great and I really enjoyed it. I played some of it back later and it sounds really good. And that's from someone who always looks for faults when I listen back.

I hadn't finished the show very long when I received a phone call about doing a night at a venue I'd visited recently, so that was cool.

Next up I recorded 5 weeks' worth of segments for DonsPodRadio over in Canada. I do a section called 'Motown & More' where I play one Motown song and one other from my collection. I enjoy doing these for someone I'm proud to call a friend.

Continuing in the theme of jobs, next I sorted some more music to go on my disco computer. By the time I'd done that, I'd put another 67 songs on there. It's a never ending task you know. I needed to put the last two week's new entries on in case any were requested in last night's Requestfest.

I still buy the new entries into the Top 40 chart each week, although they seem less relevant than they used to. In fact, it's really only for the Requestfest nights I buy them as I rarely get asked for new music at any parties these days. It's just that as I've always got them I still do.

Speaking of Requestfest, let me tell you about last night's one. Normally, I tend to get a fair few requests at the early part of the evening for the younger pub goers, but after about 9 o'clock it generally gets better with request that don't make my toes curl up in pain.

But last night was horrible. You would think I was used to it, but last night was the worst night for quality requests I've had in ages. If it wasn't for the fact that a friend turned up and was chatting to me, I may have given up the will to live!

So what was asked for that made me want to give up last night? Here's the play list.

1 Jennifer Paige - Crush
2 Nelly - Just A Dream
3 Jessie J ft B.o.B - Price Tag
4 Proclaimers - 500 Miles
5 Script - Breakeven
6 Beats International - Dub Be Good To Me
7 Robert Palmer & UB40 - I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
8 Savage Garden - To The Moon & Back
9 Haddaway - Life [Remix]
10 David Bowie - Young Americans
11 Chris Brown - Yeah 3X
12 Rihanna - Only Girl (In The World)
13 Enrique Iglesias ft Ludacris - Tonight
14 Chipmunk ft Chris Brown - Champion
15 JLS ft Tinie Tempah - Eyes Wide Shut
16 Hoosiers - Goodbye Mr A
17 Prince - U Got The Look
18 Judas Priest - Living After Midnight
19 Iggy Pop - Lust For Life
20 Bob Marley - Satisfy My Soul
21 Tupac - Changes
22 Katy B ft Ms Dynamite - Lights On
23 Katy B - Katy On a Mission
24 Blur - Parklife
25 Special D - Come With Me
26 Al Green - Look What You've Done For Me
27 Damian Marley ft Bobby Brown - Beautiful
28 Darren Styles - Save Me (Sy & Unknown Remix)
29 Keni Burke - Hang Tight
30 Force & Styles - Heart Of Gold
31 N-Dubz - Say It's Over
32 Rihanna ft Drake - What's My Name
33 Enrique Iglesias ft Ludacris - Tonight
34 Bruno Mars - Just the Way You Are
35 Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer
36 Ian Dury & The Blockheads - Billericay Dickie
37 Village People - YMCA
38 Pendulum - Slam
39 N-Dubz Ft Mr Hudson - Playing With Fire
40 Ultrabeat vs Darren Styles - Discolights
41 Pendulum ft Spyda & Tenor Fly - Tarantula
42 Guns 'n' Roses - Welcome To The Jungle
43 AC/DC - Highway To Hell
44 System Of A Down - Chop Suey
45 Usher ft Will I Am - OMG
46 Judge Dread - Big Six
47 Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
48 Devlin ft Yasmin - Runaway
49 Gyptian - Hold You
50 Johnny Cash - One Piece At A Time
51 Clash - London Calling
52 Youssou N'dour & Nenah Cherry - 7 Seconds
53 Sade - Nothing Can Come Between Us
54 Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant
55 Bruno Mars - Grenade
56 Roxette - Joyride

No more than 10 decent records last night. And if I have to listen to N-Dubz and Darren Styles much more, I'm gonna end up looking like this...



But really it was just one of those nights when you have to go through the motions and keep playing. I'm lucky really though, I have very few nights when I can't wait to get finished.

Right, what's next?



No comments:

Post a Comment