Monday 31 January 2011

John Barry, Pure Grooves and the beginning of another week

Well it's Monday, and the circle turns once again. I got up around 6.30 this morning and doing my usual and checking in on facebook, I saw the news that legendary composer John Barry had passed away. This man has had in integral part of our lives over the years, whether we realised it or not.

Films like 'Zulu', 'Midnight Cowboy', 'Born Free' and the James Bond movies, through to TV themes like 'The Persuaders' - and of course his own hits as the John Barry 7, his music has permeated our lives. I love what he wrote on his own website, as it's so true,

"In a song you can invite perfect strangers into places words alone can never reveal and in those moments we can all be connected, even if it is just until the last chord fades, somehow the magic has changed the listener no matter howsmall ... forever ... and in those moments I believe we find ourselves again, it's partly tragic but amazing, just like life!"

R.I.P John Barry.

As always, this morning was taken up with getting the Pure Grooves web mag online - it's hard to believe, but we're up to issue 24 already. Filled with lots of good stuff once again and as always, FREE to read.

Here's the link to get it.

There's no relief when one issue's done, as we start straight away on the next one, and today has been spent adding new bits and bobs into the magazine for this week. We're already on the hunt for what will fill this week's web mag. We've decided on who the featured artist is going to be this week, we've started looking around for snippets of info to go into the magazine and we've got some features in the pipeline as well.

This afternoon, I recorded this week's Flashback show, so that's another thing done. Some great tunes in this week's show. As always there's 20 songs to listen to, including a few requests and some shout outs, and of course the 'Birthday Files' have been opened for two of our listeners.

Yesterday I was emailed by some artist management in the USA and sent a song by an artist. And I'll tell you this, if you like a bit of Modern Soul, it's going to be right up your street. Remember Bobby Jonz? Well he's returned under the name Bobby Jones, and he has a new album out in February. If the track I've got is anything to go by, it's going to be great. I'm going to play it in either this week's Pure Grooves or Sunday Shake Up. So keep your ears open for that!

It's now coming toward 7pm and I've been on the go since 7am with the Magazine and shows, so I think it's time for me to take a break. Speak soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment