Friday 4 February 2011

Flashback, flyers and Chocolate Cake!

OK. So let's recap the last few days.

Wednesday is a day when I catch up on paperwork and all that good stuff - except it's not really that good. So this week, I didn't bother.

I was up around 6.30am and the first thing I did was to record this week's Pure Grooves show. I've always felt that I should be a Breakfast show presenter, because I'm at my best first thing in the morning. By dinner time I'm going downhill! I think this week's show is a good one, with a pretty wide range of tunes. There's new stuff from the likes of Tom Glide, we've got a bit of Mario Biondi. No, not THAT one! And we also have Dexter Wansel, Will Downing, The O'Jays and much more. Tasty eh?

The show was done and dusted by 6.30, so I had a look over facebook answered a few emails and once that was done, I went to see my mate Max. Max Rees is a bit of a legend in these here parts. Since I came to Cambridge, he's taken me under his wing, and tried to guide me in the ways of the music world. His knowledge of the soul scene is second to none and I've learned so much from him. And we have some real in depth conversations. He is a bit of a progressive guy who has moved on with the times and embraced today's music. And he does try to get me to open my eyes to the new stuff......I sometimes think he wants to punch me for my views though! But we do get on well and I feel I've become a better DJ with a wider taste and knowledge in music because of him. (OK Max, you can give me that £20 now!).

Wednesday is also about the Flashback show. I started this show as a one-off on the last August Bank Holiday, as I was bored and had nothing to do. Loads of people asked me to do more, and from what was planned to be a one-off, it's developed into a show that is well-listened to and now on a few stations as well.
The idea behind the show was to play 20 Golden Oldies from different eras, hopefully not too many of the same that you can hear on normal radio.


Here's the link to the show

Here's the playlist:
1 Al Stewart - Year Of The Cat
2 Fats Domino - Sick & Tired
3 Fleetwood Mac - Oh Diane
4 Georgia Gibbs - Tweedle Dee
5 Joe Jones - You Talk Too Much
6 Showaddywaddy - Under The Moon Of Love
7 Glen Campbell - Southern Nights
8 James & Bobby Purify - Morning Glory
9 Everly Brothers - Walk Right Back
10 Gary Puckett & The Union Gap - Young Girl
11 Sweet - Co Co
12 Jim Stafford - Spiders & Snakes
13 Ricky Nelson - Poor Little Fool
14 Rolling Stones - Miss You
15 Elvis Presley - Got A Lot Of Livin' To Do
16 Cliff Richard - Summer Holiday
17 Steely Dan - FM
18 Bill Haley - Dance With A Dolly
19 Johnny Rivers - Mountain Of Love
20 Matt Monro - Born Free
To hear James' recent shows, go to http://www.jamesmurphy.podomatic.com/

As you can see, Born Free is there as a tribute to John Barry, who passed away earlier this week.

Right - moving on - Requestfest.

As regular readers of the blog will know, I always say that each one is totally different. This time was no exception. This week, we had someone in the pub that was celebrating his birthday, and knowing he likes a bit of reggae, his friends were requesting some, so you will see there's a reggae bias in this week's playlist.

My mate Max (who seems to be involved in today's blog quite a bit), came along with a young lady, and made the night really enjoyable by giving me stick all the time (in a nice way - and very funny). He also made one or two decent requests - but no, I didn't play Hands Up by Ottowan for him. I even had a text request from the Promo Girl for D.I.S.C.O. (I didn't play that either). Is there an Ottowan resurgence coming? If there is, I'm off to Australia!

Anyway, here's last night's playlist:

1 David Bowie - Golden Years
2 Fleetwood Mac - Little Lies
3 Lighthouse Family - Ocean Drive
4 David Ruffin - I Can't Stop The Rain
5 Hollies - On A Carousel
6 Pendulum - Slam
7 Ian Dury & The Blockheads - Billericay Dickie
8 Damian Marley - Welcome To Jamrock
9 Prodigy - Omen
10 Cuban Ize - African Message
11 Armand Van Helden - My My My
12 Fatback Band - Wicky Wacky
13 Bruno Mars - Just the Way You Are
14 Hall & Oates - I Can't Go For That
15 Human League - Don't You Want Me
16 Benny Troy - I Wanna Give You Tomorrow
17 Jah Cure - Searching For A Girl
18 Usher ft Will I Am - OMG
19 Blackfoot Sue - Standing In The Road
20 Queen - Bicycle Race
21 David Joseph - You Can't Hide Your Love From Me
22 Surface - Happy
23 Bruno Mars - Grenade
24 Nelly - Just A Dream
25 Tom Browne - Funkin' For Jamaica
26 Akon - Bonanza (Belly Dancer)
27 Omarion - Entourage
28 Bob Marley - Buffalo Soldier
29 Gyptian - Hold You
30 N-Dubz - Say It's Over
31 Police - Roxanne
32 Stranglers - Golden Brown
33 Bob Marley - Three Little Birds
34 Joe Turner - Honey Hush
35 Etta James - Seven Day Fool
36 Ne*Yo - Because Of You
37 Bob Marley - Iron Lion Zion
38 Bob Marley - No Woman No Cry
39 UB40 - Rat In Me Kitchen
40 Micky Modelle vs Jessy - Dancing In The Dark
41 Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight
42 Prince - Purple Rain
43 Buddy Holly - Everyday
44 UB40 - Kingston Town
45 Destiny's Child - Girl
46 Nora Dean - Barbwire
47 Craig David - 7 Days
48 Eddy Grant - Do You Feel My Love
49 Kelly Clarkson - Behind These Hazel Eyes
50 Jimmy Cliff - King Of Kings
51 Seal - Kiss From A Rose
52 Professor Green - Monster
53 Ne*Yo - Beautiful Monster
54 Mario Winans ft P Diddy - I Don't Wanna Know
55 Boyz II Men - End Of The Road
56 Guns 'n' Roses - Welcome To The Jungle
57 Usher ft Young Jeezy - Love In This Club
58 Eminem ft Lil Wayne - No Love
59 Elvis Presley - Blue Suede Shoes
60 Nancy Sinatra - Sugar Town
61 Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs - Stay

As I said, it was pretty wide-ranging.

So all in all, a good night. Dampened slightly by the fact that, when I packed up, I was told that we may have to cut back to one Requestfest a month, as the pub isn't doing as well since the new VAT changes - it appears people don't have so much money to spend. Tell me something I hadn't already realised.

It's a good job I made the brochures earlier in the week. I'd better get out there hustling for more work.

Ah well.... at least there was chocolate cake there last night. And very nice it was too........

No comments:

Post a Comment