Monday 28 February 2011

Lawdy! where did that weekend go?

Well that weekend flew by! So what have I got to talk about today? 2 radio shows and a soulful night out. That seems like a good place to start.

Saturday starts off with the 'Pure Grooves' radio show. It goes out on Solar Radio at 2am, so it's always and early start. Lots of nice tunes this week.
Here's the play list:
1 Invisible Man's Band - 9 X's Out Of Ten
2 Lemelle - You Got Something Special
3 Jerry Knight - Overnight Sensation
4 Darrell Banks - I'm The One Who Loves You
5 Sam Moultrie - I'll Always Love You
6 Johnny Johnson & The Bandwagon - Breakin' Down The Walls Of Heartache
7 O'Jays - (They Call Me) Mr Lucky
8 Jeff Perry - Love Don't Come No Stronger
9 Four Tops - Sweet Understanding Love
10 Trammps - Up On The Hill
11 Fonda Rae - Over Like A Fat Rat
12 Players Association - Get Down Mellow Sound
13 Willie Bobo - Always There
14 Donald Byrd - Change (Makes You Want To Hustle)
15 Mezzoforte - Rockall
16 George Benson - When Love Comes Calling
17 Full Flava ft Kelli Sae - Bad Habits
18 Lucy Pearl - Don't Mess With My Man
19 Salsoul Orchestra - Dreamin'
20 Phil Hurtt - Givin' It Back
21 Tata Vega - Full Speed Ahead
22 Rose Royce - First Come First Serve
23 Johnny 'Guitar' Watson - Booty Ooty
24 Mary Jane Girls - Candy Man
25 Locksmith - Far Beyond
To hear my recent shows, go to http://www.jamesmurphy.podomatic.com/

At a reasonable sensible time later in the morning, I like to get the play list sorted for Sunday's show. This week it was nice to get a lot of requests and as always, we had a great 'Tracks Of My Years' selection sent in.

I really love the fact that my listeners contribute to this part of the show as it gives me the chance to play something I may have been overlooking. Around lunchtime, I recorded the show and had that ready to go.


Here's the playlist:
1 David Sanborn - Chicago Song
2 Incognito - Tin Man
3 Shakatak - Easier Said Than Done (Remix)
4 Smokey Robinson - Just To See Her
5 Anita Baker - Same Ole Love
6 Lionel Richie - Stuck On You
7 Roxy 5000 ft Terri Walker & Friends - Never Going Back
8 Drizabone Soul Family - I Fell Apart
9 Frank McComb - Whatcha Gonna Do
10 Etta James - At Last
11 Isley Brothers - Who's That Lady (Original 1964 version)
12 Bobby Wilson - Here Is Where The Love Is
13 Love Unlimited Orchestra - Love's Theme
14 Johnny Bristol - Hang On In There Baby
15 Earth Wind & Fire - Love Music
16 Richard 'Dimples' Fields - I Like Your Loving
17 Leon Hayward - Don't Push It Don't Force It
18 Evelyn King - Get Loose
19 Pasadenas - I'm Doing Fine Now
20 Odyssey - Inside Out
21 Dean Parrish - Bricks Broken Bottles & Sticks
22 Darrell Banks - Open The Door To Your Heart
23 Spiral Staircase - More Today Than Yesterday
24 Freddie McGregor - Can't Get You Out Of My Mind
25 Maxi Priest - You
26 Carroll Thompson - I'm So Sorry
27 Third World - Dancing On The Floor
28 Unlimited Touch - I Hear Music In The Streets
29 Chaka Khan - Eye To Eye
30 Raes - Little Lovin'
31 Michael Jackson - Rock With You
To hear my recent shows, go to http://www.jamesmurphy.podomatic.com/

Next, it was time to do a bit more to the magazine. As we near the date for it to be published, each week, myself and Debz, start to work through what's in the magazine and make sure we've got all the links in where they should be, start to check for spelling errors and suchlike, and just basically go over it.

Because of the fact that we add Sunday's show and other little bits right up to the Sunday evening, we can't quite finish the magazine until then.

Saturday night was a great night in Cambridge, as Soul Express was on. Always a cracking night, DJs were Shaun Owen, who is starting to bring the jazzier funk side back to town. He's been playing some great tunes of late, and his set on Saturday didn't disappoint. Next up was Andy Stearn, playing the classics. The highlight of the night for me was Guest DJ, Tee Harris, who played a really great set, followed by Chris Brown, who, as always was on fine form.

With around 2-250 people in the room it was a brilliant night. It's also great for me to meet some facebook friends for the first time. It's funny, I've been in Cambridge for just over a year now and I'm still meeting facebook friends!

Sunday was, as you expect from me, more of the same. First thing Sunday morning (7am) I was up and getting the show out to the various places it needed to be. Then after a cup of tea, it was back to bed!
When I finally re-surfaced (11.30am - well it has been a long week!) It was back to playing some more tunes.

I have this ongoing thing about transferring more music to my disco computer. Another 70-odd tracks went across this week. Before I moved to Cambridge, I ripped all my CDs and vinyl, that I haven't already copied over to a separate hard drive - it's almost 1tb of music, and I'm slowly working my way through it, making sure that I don't have any copies on my database, and replacing my old vinyl versions with better sounding versions when I can find them. It's a long labourious task, and I'm not sure I'll ever finish it! What it does mean though is that I should always be able to find something different to play.

Onto the evening and it's time to finally get the magazine finished and published to the web. The last part generally take 90 minutes or so. However adding the videos takes a bit of time and so I always leave it overnight before it's made available to the public.

And that's what I did this morning. By 7am, it was online and ready to read!


This week, Debz has worked on Craig David as our featured artist. As always there is plenty to read in the magazine. It's a labour of love for us. We just hope you like it!

If you check out the shows or the magazine, and enjoy them, please tell your friends. We really would like to share our love of music to as many people as possible.

Tilll next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment