Sunday 6 February 2011

Soul Medicine, Sunday Shake Up and the guy that likes the occasional rant

I'm getting excited about starting Soul Medicine next month - I've wanted to have my own night here since I moved to Cambridge, and have only really been able to take over someone else's (Motown & More). But now that we've buried that, I have a blank canvas in which I can create the night I want.

To me as a DJ, there is nothing quite as good as watching a dance floor full of people enjoying themselves. It's something, I've been fortunate enough to have been able to do over the years, and it's the reason I still love doing what I do so much. And that's the aim for 'Soul Medicine' - quality music and people having a great time.

Motown and More was never what I was about - whilst I have to say I love my Motown - even when mixed with Northern and Modern, wasn't quite what I'm about - I like to have the ability to be creative and play what feels right for the crowd at the time, and unfortunately, the crowd that have been coming to those nights are too varied and not consistent enough to build on the genres that the name implied.

Yesterday, I had a phone call that backed up what my intuition had been telling me all along - and that was that Northern Soul followers won't go for that event name as it sounds too handbaggy (is that a real word?) if you know what I mean.

So whilst we say a fond goodbye to Motown and More - I can't feel anything but excitement about 'Soul Medicine' and hope that people come along and look to have a great night, because that's what I'll be aiming to give them.

As usual Sunday is 'Shake Up' day - so without further ado - here comes the play list and link.


Here's the play list:
1 Maxwell - 'Til The Cops Come Knockin'
2 Angie Stone - No More Rain (In This Cloud)
3 Ralph Tresvent - Sensitivity
4 Imagination - Found My Girl
5 Chaka Khan - What Cha' Gonna Do For Me
6 George Benson - 20/20
7 Vesta Williams - Dedicated
8 David Ary - Billion Dollar
9 Nathan Watson - Reach Out (Sed Soul Mix)
10 Drifters - Like Sister & Brother
11 Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose - It's Too Late To Turn Back Now
12 R&J Stone - We Do It
13 Joe Sample - X Marks The Spot
14 Roberta Flack & Michael Henderson - At The Concert
15 Stylistics - If I Love You
16 Bobby Womack - Harry Hippie
17 Billy Paul - Thanks For Saving My Life
18 Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up
19 Teddy Pendergrass - More I Get The More I Want
20 Don Ray - Got To Have Loving
21 Paulinho De Costa - Carnival Of Colors
22 Rudy - Lovely Day
23 Johnny 'Guitar' Watson - I Need It
24 Vicky D - This Beat Is Mine
25 Evelyn King - I'm In Love
26 Melba Moore - Love's Comin' At Ya
27 Whispers - It's A Love Thing
To hear my recent shows, go to http://www.jamesmurphy.podomatic.com/

And finally - sorry for my rant yesterday - I can't help it - There is nothing worse than being angry with yourself for allowing yourself to stop being true to your beliefs, and as it was stupid o'clock in the morning and I had no-one else to get it off my chest to, the blog became my sounding board.

Still, I suppose it made the blog sound more interesting. Till next time......


No comments:

Post a Comment